Seasoned Swiss Steak
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak (about 1 inch thick), cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Combine the flour, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; set aside 2 tablespoons for gravy. Rub remaining flour mixture over steak. Pound meat with a mallet to tenderize.
- In a large skillet, brown steak in oil over medium-high heat. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with the carrots, onion, green pepper, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Pour tomatoes over all.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving dish; keep warm. Strain pan juices into a measuring cup; add water to measure 1 cup.
- In a small saucepan, combine reserved flour mixture with cold water until smooth. Whisk in pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add remaining salt and pepper. Serve with steak.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 249 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 549mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Jul 18, 2015
I love this recipe baked or in the crock pot!
Jan 8, 2015
A hearty, working man's meal! My husband and I both enjoyed this meal. I did as another reviewer suggested and used Rotel in place of chopping onions and peppers. I also added potatoes and poured 8oz of tomato sauce over everything. I cooked this in a Dutch oven. Very flavorful!
Oct 9, 2014
This is good but my family didn't like it. Just not their style. Also takes a lot of work.
Sep 18, 2013
My husband loves this meal! Give it a try and I'm sure you'll love it. Slightly spicy with a little sweetness from the carrots and brown sugar. A quick shortcut is to use Rotel in place of the peppers, onions and tomatoes. It isn't the prettiest dish, but it is wonderfully hearty with some mashed potatoes on a cold winter day.
Oct 19, 2011
I've made this recipe many times. It always gets rave reviews and everyone always wants the recipe. They think I spent HOURS on dinner, and it's very simple. Tomorrow, I'm making it for 20!
Mar 20, 2009
This was very good. Used flat iron steak and cooked in crock pot.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.