Seasoned Swiss Steak
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak (about 1 inch thick), cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Combine the flour, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; set aside 2 tablespoons for gravy. Rub remaining flour mixture over steak. Pound meat with a mallet to tenderize.
- In a large skillet, brown steak in oil over medium-high heat. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with the carrots, onion, green pepper, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Pour tomatoes over all.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving dish; keep warm. Strain pan juices into a measuring cup; add water to measure 1 cup.
- In a small saucepan, combine reserved flour mixture with cold water until smooth. Whisk in pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add remaining salt and pepper. Serve with steak.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 249 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 549mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Jul 18, 2015
I love this recipe baked or in the crock pot!
Jan 8, 2015
A hearty, working man's meal! My husband and I both enjoyed this meal. I did as another reviewer suggested and used Rotel in place of chopping onions and peppers. I also added potatoes and poured 8oz of tomato sauce over everything. I cooked this in a Dutch oven. Very flavorful!
Oct 9, 2014
This is good but my family didn't like it. Just not their style. Also takes a lot of work.
Sep 18, 2013
My husband loves this meal! Give it a try and I'm sure you'll love it. Slightly spicy with a little sweetness from the carrots and brown sugar. A quick shortcut is to use Rotel in place of the peppers, onions and tomatoes. It isn't the prettiest dish, but it is wonderfully hearty with some mashed potatoes on a cold winter day.
Oct 19, 2011
I've made this recipe many times. It always gets rave reviews and everyone always wants the recipe. They think I spent HOURS on dinner, and it's very simple. Tomorrow, I'm making it for 20!
Mar 20, 2009
This was very good. Used flat iron steak and cooked in crock pot.