Easy Swiss Steak
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 4 beef cube steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown cube steaks on both sides in oil over medium-high heat; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and bouillon. Return steaks to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 255 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 746mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Apr 3, 2017
Really liked this recipe. It was very easy to make and turned out well. Looking forward to eating the leftovers.
Oct 3, 2016
delicious and very easy
Jan 30, 2015
Very tasty. My daughter, who dislikes most red meat, is a big fan of this dish. I brown the steaks & then place everything in the slow cooker for about 3 hours on high--I use my slow cookers whenever possible . It always turns out moist & tender.
Dec 18, 2014
My husband & I loved this. We substituted venison for the beef. It was easy & quick to prepare. Thanks
Nov 16, 2014
This recipe is different from what my husband and I remember from our childhoods, but we really enjoyed it. I seem to remember my mom's Swiss steak to have a brown gravy rather than a tomato based gravy. But this recipe is delicious and probably much healthier.
Apr 4, 2014
My husband told me it was one of the most tender cuts of steak he'd even eaten. My daughter isn't a big red meat fan and she even liked it. Really hearty and delicious. Will definitely make again!
Oct 24, 2012
This recipe was delicious and very easy to make. I used a larger amount of steak (about 6 pieces) but the same amount of the other ingredients. there wasn't any need to thicken the sauce. it was thick and delicious with baked potatoes. I'll definitely serve it again.
Oct 20, 2010
I made this exact same recipe in my crockpot and it was excelent. I just browned the steaks and then put everything in a crockpot on high for 3 hours. I think you could substitute beef broth in this...I would use a cup. Next time I make this I might add more of the cornstarch mixture to make the sauce a little thicker.
Mar 31, 2010
Easy to make and very tasty. I added cut up carrots along with the onions and celery and garlic. My husband says it's almost exactly like the swiss steak we used to get at a favorite restaurant in town.
Apr 7, 2009
Can beef broth be substituted for the bouillon? If so what would the amount be?