Salisbury Steak with Onion Gravy
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 egg
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 6 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large bowl, beat egg. Stir in 1/3 cup of soup, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix gently. Shape into six oval patties. Brown in a skillet over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside; discard drippings. In the skillet, combine flour and water until smooth; add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and remaining soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Return patties to skillet. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Serve patties and gravy over noodles. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Nov 4, 2017
I love this easy and tasty recipe. It was a perfect blend of sweet & tart. I added green peas to the perimeter. It was beautifully presented and everyone loved it! Thank you!
Oct 11, 2017
Love this recipe. First had it at my step daughters in 2007. She has since made it for my birthday every year. I have made appetizer size balls and taken to potlucks and always come home with empty dish. Updated 10/10/17
May 18, 2017
"I didn't have French onion soup so I used one package from a box of Lipton Onion soup & Dip Mix. But, I used 1/2 the water called for as others suggested. Hubby and I liked the results and liked the gravy.
May 17, 2017
Awesome. It was too sweet for my taste so I added some beef bullion. Also added some chopped caramelized onion at the end to freshen it up. Served it with mashed potatoes.
May 16, 2017
Did anyone, besides myself, find the gravy sweet? I followed the recipe ingredients. I have never used ketchup in a gravy before.
May 15, 2017
This is a favorite at our house. I first saw the recipe in the Taste of Home magazine and have been making it ever since. Delicious. I normally serve this dish with rice. Instead of using bread crumbs, I always mix oats with the meat before making the patties.. Like many other cooks, I like extra gravy, as it is so good. I too found the amount of liquid with the meat and egg mixture caused the patties to fall apart, so reduce the amount and use the extra liquid in the gravy.
May 15, 2017
Delicious but it wouldn't hold together.
Apr 5, 2017
Everyone thought it was delicious. Need more gravy
Mar 20, 2017
This a great recipe. Family loves this recipe and requests it often. It was a big hit. Doubled the gravy so there would be lots for the noodles. Yummy!!!
Feb 3, 2017
I have made this a number of times and forgot to review. Very good!