Mushroom Salisbury Steak
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, optional
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- Hot mashed potatoes or cooked noodles
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch and consomme until smooth. Stir in mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce and basil; set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, onion, seasoned salt and pepper if desired. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six oval patties; place in a shallow 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish.
- Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes; drain. Turn patties, moving the ones in the center to the outside of dish. Pour consomme mixture over patties. Cover and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with potatoes or noodles.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 294 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 698mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Jul 30, 2018
Hubby and I had tasty wonderful results with this recipe. Mainly because I baked it the traditional way. In the oven. I especially enjoyed that splash of worschershire sauce. Perfect for the ground beef and other ingredients. VFE. Glad I have 2 more in the Freezer.
Sep 4, 2016
I didn't really care for the way the patties cooked in the microwave, but that is just a personal preference and nothing wrong with the recipe itself, so I'm still giving it 5 stars. Instead of connsumme and bread crumbs, I used homemade beef stock and saltine cracker crumbs, and I eliminated the seasoned salt. I don't think my changes hurt in any way, as this was quite tasty. Very simple prep, and I will definitely be making this again, but I will probably prepare it in a skillet on the stove top, as a reviewer before me mentioned.
Sep 16, 2015
Gonna make this, this coming Sunday. I bought 2 cans of beef consomme and didn't realize there was only 1 1/2 # ground beef. Going to triple the recipe for 10 people. I have brown gravy so going to add that for the rest of the beef consomme I will be lacking. Also I have canned and fresh mushrooms so going to saute fresh mushrooms. I think it will be more flavorful.
Mar 19, 2014
My family loves this so much that I make a big batch of the patties in the oven, then freeze. It makes a really fast meal to thaw and prepare the gravy any time when need a quick and delicious meal.
Jan 12, 2014
love this , stovetop for us, haven't found a better flavor for salisbury steak
Dec 16, 2010
LOVE this !!Made it in the oven.
Dec 10, 2010
I prefer to make this in a skillet rather than a microwave. It takes a little longer but we like it better that way.
Mar 10, 2009
This recipe is delicious. I did not have the consomme so I used two pkgs. of brown gravy mix.