Mushroom Salisbury Steak
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, optional
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- Hot mashed potatoes or cooked noodles
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch and consomme until smooth. Stir in mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce and basil; set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, onion, seasoned salt and pepper if desired. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six oval patties; place in a shallow 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish.
- Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes; drain. Turn patties, moving the ones in the center to the outside of dish. Pour consomme mixture over patties. Cover and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with potatoes or noodles.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 294 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 698mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 30, 2018
Hubby and I had tasty wonderful results with this recipe. Mainly because I baked it the traditional way. In the oven. I especially enjoyed that splash of worschershire sauce. Perfect for the ground beef and other ingredients. VFE. Glad I have 2 more in the Freezer.
Sep 4, 2016
I didn't really care for the way the patties cooked in the microwave, but that is just a personal preference and nothing wrong with the recipe itself, so I'm still giving it 5 stars. Instead of connsumme and bread crumbs, I used homemade beef stock and saltine cracker crumbs, and I eliminated the seasoned salt. I don't think my changes hurt in any way, as this was quite tasty. Very simple prep, and I will definitely be making this again, but I will probably prepare it in a skillet on the stove top, as a reviewer before me mentioned.
Sep 16, 2015
Gonna make this, this coming Sunday. I bought 2 cans of beef consomme and didn't realize there was only 1 1/2 # ground beef. Going to triple the recipe for 10 people. I have brown gravy so going to add that for the rest of the beef consomme I will be lacking. Also I have canned and fresh mushrooms so going to saute fresh mushrooms. I think it will be more flavorful.
Mar 19, 2014
My family loves this so much that I make a big batch of the patties in the oven, then freeze. It makes a really fast meal to thaw and prepare the gravy any time when need a quick and delicious meal.
Jan 12, 2014
love this , stovetop for us, haven't found a better flavor for salisbury steak
Dec 16, 2010
LOVE this !!Made it in the oven.
Dec 10, 2010
I prefer to make this in a skillet rather than a microwave. It takes a little longer but we like it better that way.
Mar 10, 2009
This recipe is delicious. I did not have the consomme so I used two pkgs. of brown gravy mix.