Hearty Salisbury Steaks
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine onion, saltines, egg substitute and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into five patties.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add patties; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove patties and keep warm; discard drippings.
- Combine water, soup mix and flour; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Return patties to skillet. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5-7 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Freeze option: Freeze individual cooled steak with some gravy in a resealable freezer bag. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 patty with 1/4 cup gravy: 233 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 20, 2015
This was good and I will probably make it again. I did use an egg instead of the substitute. My husband said it "wasn't his favorite," hence four stars.
May 4, 2015
A good recipe, but a bit overwhelming with the onions. Next time, I would cut back if I use onion soup AND onion in the meat. The gravy is good, but I'll double that part next time.
Jan 16, 2014
Best I've made
Feb 2, 2012
This recipe is definitely a KEEPER! What a wonderful down-home meal! I served this with the Flavorful Mashed Potatoes recipe and some steamed mixed veggies, and it was just delightful! My husband loved it, and so did my kids...even my picky 7-year old! I used Laura's Lean Beef (96% lean ground beef, hormone free) for an even leaner, lighter-calorie steak. I used liquid egg whites instead of egg substitute (to avoid all those artificial ingredients), and I used heart-healthy olive oil instead of canola oil. I also sprinkled in a little Nature's Seasons seasoning blend into the patty mixture for added seasoning. It was amazing!
Jan 29, 2012
My entire family loved this recipe, even my picky 7 year old!
Sep 3, 2011
Super delicious! Even my pickiest eaters at home gobbled them up. Nothing left but a bit of gravy, so...biscuits and gravy for breakfast!
Mar 14, 2011
These are fantastic! Instead of 1 lb of beef. I mixed 1/2 lb ground beef with 1/2 lb groiund turkey. I added 1 tsp of McCormicks Grillmates "Monteal Steak" Otherwise, followed the recipe. My husband said this was the best Salisbury Steak he has ever eaten. My two teenage boys thought the gravy was fantastic, unfortunately not alot of graby once it thickens etc.. next time I will double the gravy. I kept basting them with the gravy and don't mash them down with your spatula!!! Happy eating!
Jan 26, 2011
This has been a go to meal in our house!
Sep 26, 2010
So easy! This is going to be my new stand-by recipe for salisbury steak.
Aug 31, 2010
This was very good! I did changes things a little bit - I didn't have onion soup mix on hand so I substituted with 4 tsp beef boullion granuales, 8 tsp dry onion flakes, 1 tsp onion powder and 1/4 tsp pepper. I also added fresh mushrooms as well as some wochestershire sauce. Would make again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.