Traditional Salisbury Steak
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, garlic powder and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into two patties; dredge in 2 tablespoons flour. In a small skillet, brown patties on both sides in oil; drain. Set patties aside.
- Add the remaining flour to the skillet; whisk in water until smooth. Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and bouillon. Add the onion and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Return patties to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Serve gravy over patties.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 476 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 210mg cholesterol, 762mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 40g protein.
Aug 1, 2017
Yummmmm...the only adjustment I made was marinating meat in seasoning overnight. Will add this to weekly menu for sure!!
Nov 9, 2016
It's a very good recipe. I didn't have onion so I added onion soup mix to the gravy and it was pretty good.
Nov 9, 2013
The meat had really good flavor. I would double the gravy part next time though.
Aug 18, 2013
to me this recipe had too much ketchup and didn't really make a gravy. I used cub steak, which worked out fine, but I will be searching for another recipe next time I want to make Salsbury Steak
May 16, 2013
Good Salisbury Steak. If I make it again, I would follow the first reviewer's suggestion to saute the onions before adding to the sauce so they are softer.
Nov 10, 2012
Just made this tonight and my husband loved it. When he said I could make it again, I knew he liked it. I made some slight changes to the recipe. I used 1 lb. of meat, Campbell's Beef Consumme instead of water and beef boullion granules, and 8 oz. of sliced fresh mushrooms instead of canned. I prefer the Baby Bella mushrooms. They have a beefy texture and taste great with this recipe. I also sauteed the onions and mushrooms before adding to the sauce. I served with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. YUM!
May 12, 2010
My husband enjoyed!
Feb 19, 2010
This is the BEST salisbury steak recipe i've ever made, and i've made alot!! I quadrupled the recipe to feed my family of 5, and the only change i made was to add a package of onion soup mix to the meat mixture. Everyone loved it and have already asked me to make it again. I definately plan to!!!
Jan 6, 2010
This wonderful recipe redeemed me of last week's meatloaf flop! It was very delicious.
Oct 19, 2009
This is very good! I wanted to try a new salisbury steak recipe and this looked good and easy. I actually used 1 lb of ground beef and got 4 patties out of this (two smaller ones for the kids and 2 larger ones for my husband and myself). I made this with smashed red potatoes and carrots. I will definitely make this again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.