Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons uncooked instant rice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a small bowl, combine the onion, rice, salt, pepper and egg white. Crumble beef over mixture and mix gently. Shape into two 4-1/2-in. x 2-in. oval patties.
- In a large skillet, brown patties in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside; drain drippings.
- In the same skillet, cook mushrooms in remaining oil until tender. Stir in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Return patties to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender and meat is no longer pink.
- Remove patties; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with patties.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 283 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Jul 31, 2015
This was my first time eating Salisbury steaks. It was a very easy recipe. My daughter really enjoyed this. I like the mushrooms flavor in this meal.
Apr 8, 2015
this is the easy one that I like and make,thanks
Jan 10, 2014
This one is a keeper we will be having this often I doubled everything except the Worcestershire sauce and I added a can of steak and mushroom sauce. thanks for sharing Carmen.
Sep 28, 2013
This is an instant family favorite; just made it last night and can't wait to have it again. Easy, quick, delicious, and looks as good as pictured. I did use more mushrooms & beef broth. Served it with buttered noodles and a nice fresh broccoli salad.
Sep 6, 2012
Very good. I didn't make the rice, only the steaks, and it was exactly how a salisbury steak should taste. I had tried another variation that used ketchup and mustard powder, I ended up throwing that one out and making this one instead, and I'm so glad I did.
Mar 12, 2012
I substituted rolled oats for the rice and added a bit of garlic and oregano for more flavor. I also did not have any mushrooms on hand, but my husband and I both thought that it would be much better with the mushrooms and next time I make it I will make sure to include them. Overall-an easy and tasty dish.
Feb 12, 2010
I used leftover cooked long grain rice and the whole egg and since I had over a pound of chopped meat I made it into a meatloaf and we had it for two days. We really enjoyed this recipe particularly the gravy. The second day I reheated the meat, making more gravy, in the gravy. Will definitely do this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.