Italian-Style Salisbury Steaks
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four oval patties. In a large skillet, brown patties in oil on both sides. Drain.
- In a small bowl, combine diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Pour over patties. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Freeze option: Freeze individual cooled steaks with some tomato mixture in resealable freezer bags. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 patty with 1/2 cup sauce : 359 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 1104mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Dec 12, 2017
I made this on the night my mother-in-law dropped by for a visit. Thank goodness she loved it! I would definitely zip up the seasoning in the tomato mixture next time, but it worked out great that night since MIL is not a huge seasoning fan. Good base recipe!
Oct 3, 2016
I think this was a good "starter" recipe, with changes. One change was substituting ground turkey sausage for the beef. I used salt, which wasn't listed, and a 4 oz can of mushrooms.
Jun 2, 2015
This recipe wasn't terrible, but it wasn't amazing either. I read the reviews beforehand and made sure to add extra spice to the tomato mixture. I also put this in the oven instead of frying up the patties (I'm not a fan of frying). We wound up putting these over rice, and while it was a decent meal, I'm not sure I would make it again. It simply tasted like burgers with tomatoes on top.
Sep 30, 2014
Delicious! I used ground turkey and fresh garlic instead of garlic powder. For those who found it bland, I wonder if the tasted it as they were cooking it. I added a lot of extra oregano, basil, and garlic powder to the tomato sauce mixture even though I bought the Italian tomato sauce and Italian diced tomatoes.
Nov 19, 2013
Everyone loved it! Have made it several times and will continue to do so.
Nov 3, 2013
Split decision in our home. My oldest loved it, which is a compliment b/c he is very picky! I liked it, although the sauce seemed to dry up instead of making a sauce for the meat to simmer in. My husband didn't care for it, but he isnt really a fan of tomato based sauces.
Oct 14, 2013
Not bad. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef and I would make it again. Because some said it was bland, I did add some of my own seasonings to the tomato sauce, but the meat itself was seasoned very well. Next time I may salt my noodles.
Jun 26, 2013
I found this recipe to be quite bland without much flavor. I want to try it again but next time, I'll add more spices and Worcestershire sauce.
Jun 8, 2013
Definately a keeper. Quick and easy to make with lots of flavor.
Sep 7, 2012
As with all TOH recipes, already have given *5* rating. Making these for dinner for first time since saving recipe. With all the rave reviews, what in the world have I been waiting for!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.