Old-Fashioned Poor Man’s Steak
These flavorful "steaks" fit into everybody's budget. A special friend shared the recipe, and I think of her each time I make this. - Susan Wright, Mineral Wells, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 4 hours
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 30 crackers)
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Hot mashed potatoes or noodlles
- In a large bowl, combine cracker crumbs, water, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 9-in. square pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Cut into 3-in. squares; dredge in flour. In a large skillet, cook meat squares in oil until browned on both sides.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spatula or spoon. Add soup.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 292 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Poor Man's Steak in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book