Old-Fashioned Salisbury Steak
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup crushed saltines
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (12 ounces) fat-free beef gravy
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons water
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg white, onion, crumbs, milk, horseradish, salt if desired, and pepper. Shape into four oval patties.
- In a large skillet cook patties over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink. Remove patties and keep warm. Add gravy, mushrooms and water to skillet; heat for 3-5 minutes. Serve over patties and noodles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 229 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 556mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Salisbury Steak in The Taste of Home Cookbook 3rd Edition--Bonus 30-Minute Light