I grew up eating polenta so it’s a must at my holiday gatherings. It usually requires constant stirring, but using my handy slow cooker allows me to turn my attention to the lineup of other foods on my spread. —Ann Voccola, Milford, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 cups whole milk
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 12 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Asiago cheese
- Generously grease a 5-qt. slow cooker with 1 tablespoon butter. Add milk, cream, 6 tablespoons butter, cornmeal, salt, rosemary and pepper; stir to combine.
- Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until polenta is thickened, whisking every hour. Just before serving, whisk again; stir in cheese and remaining butter.
Originally published as Not your grandma's Dreamy Polenta! in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016