Ole Polenta Casserole
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and dill weed
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- For polenta, in a small bowl, whisk cornmeal, salt and 1 cup water until smooth. In a large saucepan, bring remaining water to a boil. Add cornmeal mixture, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 15 minutes. Divide mixture between two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 1-1/2 hours.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms, herbs and hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Loosen one polenta from sides and bottom of dish; invert onto a waxed paper-lined baking sheet and set aside. Spoon half of the meat mixture over the remaining polenta. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella and half the Parmesan cheese. Top with reserved polenta and remaining meat mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° until heated through, 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 5 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 345 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 874mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 28, 2019
Not enough flavor It was just ok 3 recipes out of cheese cook magazine and none were good enough to remake ??
Jul 9, 2017
This tasty casserole with the polenta layer in it is a keeper!!
Oct 15, 2011
Yummy! The sauce is so flavorful and good. I made it ahead and allowed more time for it to cook. Loved it!