So-Tender Swiss Steak
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth or water
- Hot cooked noodles or mashed potatoes, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add steak, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Remove meat from bag and pound with a mallet to tenderize.
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown steak in oil on both sides. Arrange onion slices between layers of meat. Add water and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and bake 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and broth until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve steak and gravy with noodles or mashed potatoes, if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 213 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 22, 2019
I like the recipe but I can't easily find a way to print it, and am not happy about that!
Dec 17, 2018
Very good recipe!! I usually add mushrooms to the gravy. Have made this with pork chops also. Joyce Moynihan. Volunteer Field Editor
Nov 5, 2017
This recipe is excellent. My family is not a fan of swiss steak but they loved this recipe. The meat came out tender. I made the mistake of having the oven at 350? instead of 325? but it came out perfectly even at 2.5 hrs. The gravy was good too. Next time I will add mushrooms to the gravy. This recipe is going in my 'favorites' recipe book!
Aug 14, 2016
Delicious!!! I added sliced fresh mushrooms (sauteed) to the gravy.
Jun 10, 2015
I have made this so many times and it is always so good! Recently I tried pork on a whim. We buy boneless pork chops and have the grocer tenderize them like cube steaks. I switched out the beef broth for chicken broth. Delicious!
Mar 24, 2015
This recipe was amazing. It was incredibly easy and I loved that I could use the dutch oven and only had to dirty one pan. I followed the recipe as is, except I did use beef broth when it called for water. There was lots of flavor and the steaks were fork tender. My family ate this over mashed potatoes. My husband even wanted seconds, which is unusual for him. Overall, I thought it was awesome and will make again for sure.
Sep 1, 2014
My family loved this recipe, I added sliced fresh mushrooms and Chopped celery! I will make it again.
Aug 18, 2014
Very tender steak, I used the beef broth and also added some sliced mushrooms, gravy was very tasty over potatoes!
Mar 4, 2014
Nice and tender, but lacks flavor.
May 13, 2012
This was OK; the gravy and onions were the best part. I might just not like this cut of meat...it seemed like it was missing something, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.