Spaghetti Squash with Apples, Bacon, and Walnuts
I've always loved spaghetti squash as an alternative to pasta and enjoy it in the classic marinara style, but I wanted a new recipe so my family and I could enjoy it more often. The savory, salty and sour flavors combine perfectly with a hint of sweet spice. While the squash is baking, prep the rest: It will take only minutes to finish after you shred the squash. —Jeff Tori, Johnstown, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Place squash in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan, cut sides down. Bake until easily pierced with a fork, 35-45 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings.
- Add green onions, 2 tablespoons butter, garlic and pepper flakes; cook and stir over medium heat until tender, 2-3 minutes. Stir in apples, cider, syrup, salt, pepper and remaining cumin. Bring to a boil; cook until slightly thickened, 4-6 minutes.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Add squash to skillet; cook until liquid is absorbed, 2-3 minutes. Stir in bacon, walnuts and parsley.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 314 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 482mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Spaghetti Squash with Apples, Bacon, and Walnuts in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019