Spaghetti Squash Supper
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Halve squash lengthwise and discard seeds. Place, cut side down, in a microwave-safe dish. Add the water; cover and microwave on high for 12-15 minutes or until squash is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large skillet until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, green pepper, zucchini and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally; drain. Add the beans, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands; place in a serving dish. Top with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 269 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 846mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 14g protein.
Dec 17, 2015
Good recipe—really like that the majority of ingredients is vegetables and not meat. I think the sausage plays a key role and important to get a great tasting one. Recipe is also very versatile, next time will omit the beans and add mushrooms. I agree with another reviewer to mix it all together prior to serving.
Aug 7, 2015
Great recipe with lots of flavor that both my husband and I loved. It's just an extra bonus that it uses up some zucchini too!
Oct 14, 2014
My first attempt at spaghetti squash and it came out great! So easy and delicious! I added some yellow pepper too and used spicy sausage
Apr 8, 2014
Delicious, fast & easy!!! Loved it!
Jan 26, 2013
Delicious and easy! My son has never been fond of spaghetti squash, but he raved abot this dish! Definitely a keeper!
Dec 6, 2012
My family loved this! I didn't have the zuchini so used stir fry vegetables and it turned out great. This will become a frequently used recipe!
Oct 9, 2012
My children wouldn't even touch this, but my husband & I enjoyed it. It is plain and simple but good, and a good way to get lots of squash into you!
Jul 3, 2012
I made this tonight to use up a spaghetti squash. It was good! The spaghetti squash was interesting and healthier than pasta. I wasn't sure which sausage I was supposed to use -- and was afraid of accidentally ending up with breakfast sausage -- so I got the Johnsonville mild Italian ground sausage that comes in the tray, not the tube. Also added a chopped tomato, since I had some to use up. And left out the added salt; didn't miss it.
Sep 1, 2010
Best way to use the abundant spaghetti squash harvest this year :) Thanks so much!
Nov 17, 2009
My husband and I LOVED this!!! He didn't start eating veggies til we got married, but after 3 years, he's hooked! So filling, but not at all heavy! And super easy! Will definitely be having it often!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.