Church Supper Spaghetti
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add tomatoes, water and chili powder. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the corn, peas, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Stir in spaghetti.
- Layer half of the mixture in a greased 4-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese; repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 290 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 259mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Aug 25, 2019
Will make again but with chicken and pork.
Jun 19, 2019
Novice or not, you don't need to drain ground beef in every dish. If you know how to make your own authentic pasta sauce, you do not drain the beef. This is another example. Do NOT drain the beef after you cook it.
Jun 9, 2019
Am in the process of making this and am sure it's going to come out good but I just realized that the instructions don't remind you to drain the ground meat. I can see a novice cook not draining the grease off the meat.
May 30, 2019
i have never thought about adding Chile powder to spaghetti but will try this soon, I also like lLynea's suggestions.
May 7, 2019
This was a big hit at a potluck. I did take Lynnea's recommendation and used Cream of Cheddar Cheese soup and I also doubled the spices.
Jan 7, 2019
I love Lynnea’s post. For me I like the idea of the tomatoes and I would use probably the Mexican version plus may use some Mex spices as well to give it a different flare and incorporate jack
Jun 28, 2018
I used this recipe and modified 2 things! 1) Instead of using mushrooms I cut half a zucchini into small pieces; 2) I used 1 can of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Condensed Soup to make it more flavourful and creamy (i got this idea from frankieb's comment). I added half a cup of water instead of a full cup because the soup and liquid in the tomatoes was enough. Even though the recipe was amazing and a big hit with my boyfriend, I would recommend adding more seasoning. I think it needed more chili powder and something else. I added black pepper and garlic salt after the fact and it seemed to help quite a bit. I really like meals with strong flavour. It made a large dish and is good for a family meal.
Jun 25, 2018
Lynette, if you did not make this, please do not rate it. If you read the intro, this is a church/potluck dinner so as a shared dish, it could feed 12 people.
May 31, 2018
How can a recipe with 12 oz. of pasta feed 12 people?
Mar 8, 2018
This spaghetti is the best. A different way to eat spaghetti. The flavors are great. And I did add a little more cheese and a teaspoon of salt. Thanks so much for this recipe, I make it often.