Church Supper Spaghetti
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add tomatoes, water and chili powder. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the corn, peas, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Stir in spaghetti.
- Layer half of the mixture in a greased 4-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese; repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 290 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 259mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 28, 2018
I used this recipe and modified 2 things! 1) Instead of using mushrooms I cut half a zucchini into small pieces; 2) I used 1 can of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Condensed Soup to make it more flavourful and creamy (i got this idea from frankieb's comment). I added half a cup of water instead of a full cup because the soup and liquid in the tomatoes was enough. Even though the recipe was amazing and a big hit with my boyfriend, I would recommend adding more seasoning. I think it needed more chili powder and something else. I added black pepper and garlic salt after the fact and it seemed to help quite a bit. I really like meals with strong flavour. It made a large dish and is good for a family meal.
Jun 25, 2018
Lynette, if you did not make this, please do not rate it. If you read the intro, this is a church/potluck dinner so as a shared dish, it could feed 12 people.
May 31, 2018
How can a recipe with 12 oz. of pasta feed 12 people?
Mar 8, 2018
This spaghetti is the best. A different way to eat spaghetti. The flavors are great. And I did add a little more cheese and a teaspoon of salt. Thanks so much for this recipe, I make it often.
May 7, 2016
This was a hit with family and friends. Will definitely make this again, and again, and...
Oct 17, 2015
I really liked this. A good change from regular spaghetti. Don't be skimpy on the cheese or the salt and pepper,
May 6, 2013
Have made this a couple of times now to take to mercy meals at church. Got rave reviews and an empty pan!
Jun 21, 2009
I've made this many times. To make it more creamy in texture, I substitute a can of Campbells cheddar cheese soup for 1 cup of the cheese. This is one of the few ways I can get my husband to eat peas! :)