Spaghetti Meatball Supper
It was such a joy to come home and find my mom making spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. This recipe has always been dear to my heart. —Debbie Heggie, Laramie, Wyoming
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- For meatballs, preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs and water; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in eggs, cheese, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Add beef and pork; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Add meatballs to sauce, stirring gently to combine. Serve with spaghetti.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little water if necessary.
Editor's Note: To make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without spaghetti): 254 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Italian Meatballs in 2010 Taste of Home Annual Recipes