Spaghetti & Meatball Soup
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage, mild
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Parmesan rind, optional
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta, broken into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- Additional freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs and milk. Let stand 5 minutes; drain. Stir in eggs, cheese and seasonings. Add sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake until cooked through, 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer meatballs to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add stock, marinara sauce, water, basil and, if desired, Parmesan rind. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours to allow flavors to blend.
- Discard Parmesan rind. Stir in pasta; cook, covered, on high until pasta is tender, 15-20 minutes longer. If desired, serve with additional cheese.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 394 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 1452mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Jan 4, 2016
Easy and the entire family loves this. Makes a perfect meal with some crusty bread and a green salad. I use frozen meatballs when I'm in a hurry.
Nov 16, 2015
This was pretty good--made the mistake of adding a little extra spaghetti (it never looks like enough!). Next time, I will not add the pasta to the soup but will cook separately and add to individual servings.
Aug 19, 2015
This was a hit with the kids. I used frozen Italian turkey meatballs, just threw them in with the broth. The broth is very tasty. We used a lot of grated Parmesan cheese to top. This does make a very large portion, so if you want it to last days, or freeze, I would boil the noodles aside and add to each individual bowl.
May 23, 2015
Excellent! Best meatballs ever! I forgot to add the water and it turned out like regular spaghetti sauce (not soup). It was so good, I think I'll do it the same from now on.
Oct 21, 2014
This recipe is outstanding. Love the meatballs and the broth was excellent.
Oct 16, 2014
This was simple and delicious. The soft bread crumbs made the meatballs super tender.
Aug 29, 2014
This is the perfect soup. Rich, delicious broth and yummy meatballs. The meatballs were flavorful and fluffy. I enjoyed the meatballs so much I made a double batch of them, cooked all of them-then froze half of them for a later meal. This recipe is a keeper!
Aug 25, 2014
Very delicious. My new favorite recipe for meatballs. Subbed a lb. of ground chicken for one of the pkgs. of sausage. Amazing. These meatballs are delicious cold as well.