Spaghetti Squash Medley
"We raise spaghetti squash in our garden, and I enjoy coming up with different ways to use it," writes Wanda Ivan of Salina, Kansas. "We like the colorful mix of tomatoes, carrot, broccoli and snow peas in this microwave dish."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 ounces fresh or frozen snow peas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish or plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, oil and garlic in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until tomatoes are softened, stirring once. Stir in the basil, salt and pepper.
- Place broccoli, carrot and water in another microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 1-1/2 minutes. Add peas; cover and cook 1-2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain. Add to tomato mixture.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands; toss with tomato mixture. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 132 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 336mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jul 27, 2009
This recipe is absolutely delicious! This is a great way to present spaghetti squash along with other fresh garden veggies. I encourage everybody to try this recipe.