Spanish Squash Medley
This fresh-tasting side dish of summer squash and zucchini goes well with chicken, pork or steak. But it's so colorful and flavorful that it might steal the spotlight from your entree.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 medium summer squash, halved and sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large plum tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the squash, zucchini and onion in oil for 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the tomato, butter, lemon-pepper, garlic powder and salt. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the heat; sprinkle with cheese. Cover for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 55 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Spanish Squash Medley in Quick Cooking January/February 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.