Harvest Squash Medley
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 6 cups water
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 small apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add squash and return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain. Place squash and sweet potatoes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine the honey, orange juice, butter, orange zest, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour over squash and potatoes.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; stir in apples. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 12, 2012
This was so good and healthy. It had a light fresh, sweet taste. It is a great dish for the holidays! This is a great change from the sweet potatoes and marshmallow dish.
Oct 3, 2010
This has delicious flavor! I made several changes based on what I had on hand. I omitted the sweet potato since my squash was large. Next time I would NOT boil the squash before baking so that it stays a bit firmer by the end. I sauteed two onions in butter with fresh sprigs of thyme and add that to the baking dish. I also used three apples instead of two and left the skin on. This is a great base to build on!