Apple Butternut Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook and stir onion in butter over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the squash, broth, apple, water, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until squash is tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; stir in cream and heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 172 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 613mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 9g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Nov 18, 2012
I've made this with fat free half-and-half to make it a 0 Point per serving treat
Nov 1, 2010
What a great surprise! Love it, so simple to make and Really says Fall in all the right ways!
Nov 11, 2009
Made this soup for my son when he had tonsillitis and he totally loved it! Easy on his throat with fun flavours...I did add some crushed sun dried tomatoes for a fuller flavour.
Oct 19, 2008
This is very easy to make and tasty. I think I would prefer it with veggie broth. The chicken broth was a bit overpowering. All and all good recipe.