This recipe comes in handy when it's too hot to be in the kitchen. It really is an all-in-one meal that appeals to the entire family.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 cups hot cooked long grain rice
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (9 ounces) tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add spaghetti sauce and taco seasoning; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for cheese sauce, melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour, garlic powder and pepper. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add American cheese; cook and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
- On eight plates, layer the rice, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, beans, cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. Top with meat mixture, sour cream and cheese sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 855 calories, 46g fat (24g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 1385mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 7g fiber), 43g protein.
Originally published as Haystack Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook