Tex-Mex Breakfast Haystacks
I love haystacks and wanted to make a fun Tex-Mex version for my family. Adding panko crumbs and cheese to the hash browns before cooking gives them a wonderful golden brown color and crisp texture. —Donna-Marie Ryan, Topsfield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Tex-Mex seasoning, divided
- 1 package (3-1/2 cups) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 cooked bacon strips, coarsely chopped
- Finely chopped green onions, optional
- Combine sour cream, green onions, sun-dried tomatoes, cilantro, and 1/2 teaspoon Tex-Mex seasoning; set aside.
- Squeeze hash brown potatoes dry with paper towel to remove excess liquid. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and remaining Tex-Mex seasoning.
- On an electric griddle, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Drop potato mixture by 2/3 cupfuls into oil; press to flatten slightly. Fry, adding oil as needed, until crisp and golden brown, 5-7 minutes. Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- On same griddle, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Break eggs, one at a time, onto griddle. Reduce heat; cook until whites are set and yolks have begun to thicken. Flip eggs if desired; cook to desired doneness.
- To assemble, top each potato patty with an egg, salsa, bacon and sour cream mixture. If desired, sprinkle with green onions.
Test Kitchen tips