Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (6 servings each)
- 1-3/4 cups crushed saltines (about 40 crackers)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Seasoned salt, salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 jar (10 ounces) pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) tortilla chips
- Divide crackers between two ungreased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Top each with rice.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato juice, water and seasonings; simmer for 15-20 minutes. Spoon over rice.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in Velveeta cheese until melted. Pour over beef mixture. Top with lettuce, cheddar cheese, tomatoes and olives. Serve with chips. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 888 calories, 55g fat (24g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 1746mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein.
Feb 23, 2018
I wasn’t sure about this recipe especially the part pouring the cheese sauce over the lettuce and tomatoes.This was really good but more like an appetizer.I will definitely be taking this to our next potluck. I used tomato soup instead of tomato juice simply because I had tomato soup on hand.
Aug 29, 2016
Thanks Jill Steiner and taste of home for an easy and tasty recipe.
Mar 9, 2016
This is a great way to serve Tex-Mex and the addition of rice makes it perfect!
Mar 8, 2012
this is great dish very easy to make.taste so good use the olives makes it so much the better
Jan 11, 2011
Excellent dish! I would use as an appetizer maybe. Delicious!
Sep 26, 2010
The guys in our family really, really love this!
Dec 29, 2009
This is a delicious addition to any meal and I'm very okay with it. My family loves it and we'll be keeping this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.