Sweet Potato Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes (without added milk or butter)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, potatoes, shortening, water and egg. Combine dry ingredients; add to potato mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins and pecans. Pour into a greased 8-cup fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 337 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 384mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 28, 2018
It's been years since I had Sweet Potato Bound Cake! This is a great recipe and I thank you! :)
Dec 17, 2012
I made this cake today, it turned out realy good... I loved it.
Jan 14, 2012
My family is not overly thrilled with just eating sweet potatoes so I try and get creative with sneaking them in. This is the perfect recipe for just that. This cake that I used as a bread with dinner and side dish with breakfast the next morning was a huge hit. I didn't end up using the powerdered sugar and didn't feel like it needed it. The cake is very moist and has great flavor. I will be making this again soon.
Nov 27, 2010
I made this yesterday with some leftover sweet potatoes from Thanksgiving dinner. They were just sliced and baked with brown sugar and butter. I mashed them up and it worked out great. I love the texture of this cake -- nice and dense. I added a few more raisins than the recipe called for because I wanted to use up the box, so it probably had a little more fruit in it than the original recipe. I also substituted walnuts for pecans (because I have a ton of them in my freezer from last fall), and I used 2/3 of a cup of light brown sugar and 2/3 of white sugar. Finally, I substituted 1 1/2 tsp. of a spice blend from Penzey's spices, called cake spice, for the cinnamon and ginger. It is especially good in coffee cakes.
Sep 24, 2010
This TOTALLY AWESOME! Have it every fall.
Feb 1, 2010
The best cake ever!!!!!!!