Flavorful Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 4 pounds red potatoes (about 12 medium), quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- Place potatoes and garlic in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 146 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 26, 2016
The name is right on the mark. They are flavorful! They are very easy and worth the few minutes it takes. I always try to use the freshest ingredients I can find. It's so worth it.
Aug 15, 2014
Wonderful! The herbs give it just the right amount of flavor while not over-powering the natural flavor of the potatoes!
Nov 26, 2013
Who likes already-prepared stuff when you can have something MUCH better by taking a bit of time to make it yourself!
Feb 27, 2013
By not fully mashing the potatoes, I used this recipe to get my family hooked on "smashed potatoes". The herbs are terrific. Sometimes I add a handful of grated low-fat cheese and diced broccoli for a change of pace.
Feb 2, 2012
This was EXCELLENT with the Hearty Salisbury Steak recipe. YUM! I made half the batch for my family of 5 and still had some left over. I used Silk unsweetened original almond milk in place of the fat free milk for fewer calories and more calcium. Very good!
Oct 10, 2011
This recipe is a keeper at my house!
Jul 8, 2010
Loved this Mashed Potatoes recipe. The name says it all! It is a perfect summertime recipe with the fresh herbs.