- 4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 large), peeled and cubed
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 18 large marshmallows
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes; drain.
- Transfer to a large bowl and mash. Add the milk, brown sugar, butter, egg, cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, salt and nutmeg; beat until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until heated through, 40-45 minutes. Top with marshmallows. Bake just until marshmallows begin to puff and brown, 5-10 minutes longer.
For a crunchy topping: Omit marshmallows and reduce brown sugar in sweet potato mixture to 1/4 cup. Before baking, combine 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 3/4 cup chopped pecans and 1/2 cup melted butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the mashed sweet potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until heated through and topping is browned.
3/4 cup: 282 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.