Sweet Potato Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup V8 juice
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Crumble beef into broth. Cook, covered, for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until meat is no longer pink and potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 265 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 532mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Jan 2, 2019
This was great! I didn’t have V8 juice so I substituted diced canned tomatoes instead. This is a recipe I’ll be making again!
Dec 25, 2017
I cook most of my soup or stew recipes in a Pressure Cooker shortening the cooking & prep times!
Oct 20, 2011
I had some sweet potatoes to use up and stumbled upon this recipe. I wasn't sure if the flavors would blend well, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good the stew tasted. I will definitely make this again!
Nov 15, 2009
My husband and I really enjoyed this, and it was so quick and easy.