Beefy Sweet Potato Soup
I hate being cold, but do enjoy one of the best remedies for a bone chill—warm soup. I took my mother’s water-based vegetable soup recipe and worked with it to make the flavors richer. The meat and veggies in this dish are the perfect cure for a cold night and a hungry family. —Lisa Cooper, Leander, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 85 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds beef sirloin tip roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 4 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) frozen corn
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- Corn bread, biscuits or crusty round loaf of bread, optional
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper; brown in batches, adding oil as needed. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add onion and sweet potatoes to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, puree tomatoes and their juices in a blender or food processor. Place thyme and rosemary on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose herbs; tie securely with string.
- Return beef to pan; add herb bag, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until meat and potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.
- Add green beans, corn, chocolate and coffee, stirring until well blended. Discard herb bag. If desired, add salt and pepper and serve with bread of choice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 260 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Beefy Sweet Potato Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips