Beefy Sweet Potato Soup
I hate being cold, but one of the best remedies for that is warm soup. I took my mother’s water-based vegetable soup recipe and worked with it to make the flavors richer. The meat and veggies in this dish are the perfect cure for a cold night and a hungry family. —Lisa Cooper, Leander, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds beef sirloin tip roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 4 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) frozen corn
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper; brown in batches, adding oil as needed. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add onion and sweet potatoes to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, puree tomatoes and their juices in a blender or food processor. Place thyme and rosemary on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose herbs; tie securely with string.
- Return beef to pan; add herb bag, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until meat and potatoes are almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add green beans. Cook until meat, potatoes and green beans are tender, about 20 more minutes.
- Add corn, chocolate and coffee, stirring until well blended. Discard herb bag. If desired, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 260 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Nov 23, 2018
Joined this site, already tried some of the recipes - DEEEE- LICIOUS. tHANKYOU.
Oct 1, 2018
This is an amazing soup so tasty and easy to make - and so filling too can't say enough about this soup