Makeover Beef & Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
Makes10 servings (3 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine flour and 1 can broth until smooth. Add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, celery, seasonings and remaining broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cheese and milk. Cover and cook until cheese is melted, about 30 minutes longer. Just before serving, stir in sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 327 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 832mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Jan 20, 2019
I loved this soup. I did not put in a slow cooker but on top of the stove. I used southern frozen hash browns or potatoes o'brien. I am getting lazy in my old age. Everything else was exactly as the recipe called for. Everyone here loved it.
Dec 13, 2017
My DH ate it without complaining! This is a winner, though I think other herbs could be added, like marjoram. I substituted shredded cheddar cheese as Velveeta is unclean (contains pork.) Also added a lump of Better Than Bouillon Beef Base. It is a good soup to have on a wintery evening with Corn Bread Squares.
Sep 8, 2013
"Wow! Mom, you made this soup?" Used 32 oz broth, 1 can of cheddar cheese soup instead of Velveeta, and didn't add the milk because it was thin enough for my taste.
Jul 18, 2012
Love this soup!!
Feb 29, 2012
This is really good. I am not one to use a crock pot so I did this all on the stove top. very good and simple with a lot of flavor. Took about 2 hours.
Feb 8, 2012
I didn't have ground beef so I substituted ground turkey, and I am gluten free so I substituted gluten free flour. It was wonderful, just a little peppery for me.
Dec 31, 2011
Loved it. Very easy to make and almost all things were on hand. My husband, who doesn't like soup, even liked this. I didn't have basil so I used some Italian seasoning, had to use beef broth and used 93/7 beef. It was great! Will make again!
Dec 12, 2011
Very good and easy to prepare! It was a big hit with everyone, from my picky husband to my 2 toddlers! I will definitely be making this one again! (I also only put in half the basil, but kept everything else the same)
Dec 11, 2011
This soup was so easy to prepare and I had all the ingredients on hand. I served this soup to our friends for lunch yesterday and it was delicious. The soup was so good that my friend asked for the recipe, which I sent to her today. I will be preparing this soup again and again. Loved it!
Dec 8, 2011
I did add a bit more chicken broth (which I make with 1t of chicken bouillon per cup of hot water) as the soup was very thick. I think next time I'd only add 2t of basil but it did taste really good.