Makeover Potato Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + standing
- 4 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 5 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules or 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, combine first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in celery and red pepper; simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to low. stir in process cheese and mayonnaise until blended. add cheddar and Swiss cheeses; stir until melted. Stir in the potato flakes and pepper. Remove from the heat; let stand for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 195 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 520mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 3, 2012
The soup tasted fair enough, however, not enough flavor for me (personal taste). Plus it just seemed like a lot of work for this soup. Not bad, just not a keeper for me.