Beef and Pasta Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Cook: 25 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds beef shanks or meaty beef soup bones
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium red potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- In a pressure cooker over medium-high heat, brown beef on both sides in oil. Add the water, carrots, celery, potato, onion, garlic and seasonings. Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 15 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat if needed.)
- Remove from the heat. Immediately cool according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced. Discard bay leaf. Remove beef with a slotted spoon; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Discard bones and dice the meat.
- Return meat to pan. Add the beans, tomatoes and zucchini. Bring soup to a simmer. Stir in macaroni. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until macaroni and zucchini are tender.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested at 10/13/15 pounds of pressure (psi).
Jan 15, 2014
Good hearty soup that the family enjoyed. I added some Worcestershire sauce for a bit more flavor and extra carrots. We need more pressure cooker recipes please,
Jan 15, 2013
Glad to find and use a recipe that uses fresh vegetables. Frozen vegetables become mushy. I used ziti pasta instead of macaroni. Good recipe!!!.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.