Beef and Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen beef tortellini
- Place 2 tablespoons flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a nonstick Dutch oven, brown beef in 2 teaspoons butter; remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute the onion, celery and carrot in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, broth, 1 cup water, thyme, pepper, salt and reserved beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add tortellini; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until tender.
- Combine remaining flour and water until smooth. Stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Editor's NoteTop loin steak may be labeled as strip steak, Kansas City steak, New York strip steak, ambassador steak or boneless club steak in your region.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 265 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nov 2, 2011
This was an instant hit, there were no leftovers. Thanks for a great recipe!
Feb 17, 2011
I loved this soup. So easy. After I brought the veg. to a boil with the soup and tomatoes, I poured it over the tortellini in a crock pot and cooked on high for 3 hours. It thickened on its own so I didn't have to do the last step. Perfect!
Nov 6, 2010
Very good. All of my family enjoyed it!
Aug 23, 2010
Delicious! I use cheese tortellini sometimes.
Oct 26, 2009
I LOVE this soup!! Tastes excellent, easy to make and it's on my list of favorites now. And healthy too!