Beef Veggie Soup
Brimming with chunks of beef, potatoes, carrots, green beans and mushrooms, this satisfying soup is a meal in itself. When unexpected guests come to visit, this is one of my favorite recipes to prepare because it's ready in no time. —Ruby Williams, Bogalusa, Louisiana.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked roast beef
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place first seven ingredients in a 6 qt. stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until carrots are crisp-tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 150 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 lean meat.
Originally published as Vegetable Beef Soup in Country Woman September/October 2001
Feb 6, 2014
This was ok. For starters, I felt it needed more seasoning and a longer cooking time. On the up side, it is healthy and nourishing.
Nov 4, 2012
This is my family's favorite soup. The seasonings are just right! I make this several times/year.