Chunky Beef and Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon each salt, seasoning blend and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onion and peppers; cook and stir until carrots are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and remaining seasonings. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- Add potatoes; cook 30-40 minutes longer or until beef and potatoes are tender. Skim fat and discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 312 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 695mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Jan 14, 2016
This was a delicious soup! The best thing about a good pot soup is that we can be 'creative', in order to suit our personal tastes. I took the liberty to add in 2 ribs of celery, which I cut into 1" diagonal pieces. I used "Mrs. Dash" salt-free seasoning. I cooked the soup with 1/4 C. chopped fresh Italian parsley (stems & all) for lots of flavor. I like potatoes, but I never liked them in soups.... so I cooked-up some whole wheat pasta shells (separately), and served the soup in individual bowls over the pasta. I topped each bowl with a sprinkle of chopped Italian parsley, and some grated Parmesan cheese on top..
Jan 9, 2015
Easy to make and delicious. Did not have seasoning blend, so used a dash of each parsley, thyme, oregano, basil, and sage. Also added the peppers and carrots in with the potatoes, so they were not too mushy. A definite make again.
Jan 6, 2014
Love the soup the whole house smelled wonderful. I don't like green peppers so change to yellow pepper .
Nov 4, 2013
Always looking for a new recipe for soups or stews, and found this one.. yahoo! It is wonderful, an will make this often. I added a handful of quick cooking barley at the end of the cooking time to thicken the soup into more of a stew, and this made it even better. Oh, I used the Burgundy, not the broth.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.