Garden Vegetable Beef Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 55 min.
Makes8 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) julienned carrots
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red potato (about 5 ounces), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add carrots and celery; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini, potato, green beans, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 35-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. If desired, top each serving with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups (calculated without cheese): 207 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 31, 2018
Made slight changes due to family preference, like increasing the amount of seasonings and not using the diced tomatoes, and it was good. Felt like it needed something to amp up the flavor...added 1/3 c Marsala cooking wine, and it was perfect. Leftovers reheat nicely for a healthy lunch.