Asian Vegetable-Beef Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups julienned carrots
- 1 cup sliced bok choy
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- Chive blossoms, optional
- In a large saucepan, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Add the water, broth, sherry, soy sauce, onions, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the mushrooms, carrots and bok choy; cover and simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
- Divide rice among six soup bowls, 3/4 cup in each; top each with 1 cup of soup. Garnish with chive blossoms if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 379 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 4, 2018
This soup is so light and absolutely wonderful. I cut back on the brown sugar to just a pinch. for us it was perfect. I also used ground beef instead of stew meat. Only because that's what I had on hand. Its rich and very satisfying. Forget the cup, grab a bowl its that wonderful. I highly recommend this one. VFEditor *
Jan 20, 2018
Super yummy! A tad too sweet for our tastes, can't wait to make it again but I would cut down the brown sugar to 2T instead of 3
Nov 13, 2016
I made this the other night for my family and some guests, I doubled the recipe. It was delicious! Will definitely make again.
Jun 9, 2015
Aug 23, 2013
I made this recipe and my wife, who is not a big Asian food fan, and I loved it. I did put in a little more water while it was simmering.Dr. Wayne G, Arizona
Jun 18, 2013
Very good. nice flavor. It disappeared quickly. It took a while to cook, but easy prep. now, what do I do with the rest of the bok choy?
Oct 17, 2012
This recipe has an excellent flavor! It's also quite filling with the rice. It's a keeper!!
Oct 4, 2012
Awesome asian flavor-my family loved it! Will make again!
Jun 11, 2012
This soup is AWESOME, have made it twice now and everyone loves it and wants recipe !!! Love it, it is different from other vegetable soups. Will become a standby recipe at our house :)
Jan 9, 2011
Excellent flavor. Definitely a keeper. We used Sirloin instead of stew meat and it was wonderful.