Savory Vegetable Beef Soup
I developed this recipe as a way to use my homegrown vegetables. My teaching responsibilities keep me busy, but I love cooking for my husband and daughter most of all. —Leslie Luthe, Parkersburg, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
Makes10-12 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water, carrots, onion, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until tender. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 246 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Savory Vegetable Beef Soup in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book