Italian Veggie Beef Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (4 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook ground beef and onions over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Add cabbage, mixed vegetables, tomatoes, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender. Remove bay leaf. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 159 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Sep 5, 2017
Great basic recipe! Make flavors pop by adding garlic and other seasonings of your choice!
Oct 26, 2016
Very good tasting. Didn't take long to put together.
May 3, 2016
I made this for dinner tonight and it was wonderful!! I did substitute Italian sausage for the ground beef and adjusted the seasonings slightly and we loved it! This recipe is a keeper for sure!!
Mar 27, 2016
This recipe was tasty and easy. I made a few changes for my family's tastes and what we had on hand. I only used 1 pound of beef, chicken broth instead of beef beef broth, and doubled the black pepper. This was a great way to use up half of a cabbage that I had in the fridge. While it tasted very good, I don't think I would go out of my way to make this recipe again, but I would certainly make it if I had the ingredients on hand.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.