Italian Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, broth, lentils, carrot, green pepper, oregano, basil and, if desired, pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 269 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 14g fiber), 13g protein.
Jul 12, 2016
The wonderful thing about soup recipes is that they are so amenable to changes. I am always looking for ways to lower the calorie content so I eliminated the olive oil and just used olive oil spray to saute the onions and garlic. I had some cabbage, celery and yellow squash in the fridge that needed to be used up, so I chopped and dumped those in. I had a partially used can of cannellini beans that I wanted to get rid of so they joined the veggies. I only used 1 tblsp. tomato paste and in place of plain water used some beef bouillon cubes. I added some chopped cilantro on top.. I didn't use any meat, but you could add some Italian sausage, ground beef or ground turkey. DELICIOUS!
Oct 25, 2014
Add some sausage and you have a perfect, balanced meal. This is delicious!!!
Jan 2, 2013
The recipe was good, but it was a little too acidic for my taste. Next time I make it I will add something to balance it out.
Nov 19, 2012
It was okay, but it seemed to need something, you when I heated up the leftovers I added some spaghetti sauce to it and it was much better.
Mar 3, 2012
Rich and filling. It's a family favorite. Sometimes I chop the carrots to make preparation a little easier.
Oct 8, 2011
Made it for company and they all loved it. I cooked the lentins separately, for me they needed more cooking time, then I followed the directions and it came out great.
Nov 18, 2010
We really like this soup and it's good for you. Yummy. I too just sliced the carrots thin, and I used more broth than water and simmered it longer than the stated time. But I will make this again
Oct 17, 2010
This soup is fantastic! Delicious comfort food. Easy to make and so tasty! Husband approved as well. Instead of shredding the carrot, I sliced it thin. I also had to simmer the lentils 5 more minutes till they were tender.
Jun 7, 2010
I added some sliced sausages. My husband LOVED it.
Apr 29, 2010
I really liked this one. It was easy and good.