Italian Meatball ‘n’ Bean Soup
This is a taste sensation the whole family will love.—Amanda Bowyer, Caldwell, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Additional thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, and bread crumbs. Crumble sausage and turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in batches; drain.
- Transfer meatballs to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until a thermometer inserted in a meatball reaches 160°. If desired, top with additional sliced green onion.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 529 calories, 31g fat (11g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 1273mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Italian Sausage & Bean Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.