Beef Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 65 min.
Makes10-12 servings (3-1/4 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 7 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown beef; drain. Add the next 11 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add tortellini; cook for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Remove bay leaves. Garnish individual servings with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 135 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 917mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Mar 3, 2013
This soup has a really nice flavor to it with the seasonings as listed. I used ground turkey instead of beef. It did not need to cook as long as listed. The whole family loved it and I will be making it again!
Jan 15, 2012
This is a great recipe for time pressed cooks. It turns out right everytime and always gets compliments. Easy to make, hearty and satisfying...what more can you ask for?!
Dec 12, 2010
Quick and easy--very tasty. I made a few modifications--basically 1/2ed the recipe--my family of 3 didn't need 13 servings--I had beef tortellini so I didn't use the ground beef--used 3 cans of broth, 1 can diced tomatoes, used Italian spice blend and NO salt the broth has enough, didn't use sugar either--ketchup has plenty as well. I was very happy with this quick, flavorful soup. Thanks!