Easy Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini or tortellini of your choice
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tortellini; cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender. Stir in the spinach, vinegar and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through and spinach is wilted. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 178 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 652mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Aug 29, 2016
I have made this twice, and it is very good! The 2nd time I did add some italian sausage meatballs to it and it was outstanding. No other changes....my soup loving husband Loves It!
Apr 29, 2015
Excellent! I Also added two cups of rotisserie chicken to make it a meal.
Dec 18, 2014
Oct 12, 2014
This was delicious!! I added some cut up chicken too.
Oct 7, 2014
Delicious soup and so easy! I inadvertently grabbed a can of crushed tomatoes instead of diced tomatoes and decided to go ahead and use them. As a result, the soup didn't have the tomato chunks and didn't look much like the picture. My husband ate two servings and said that he liked the smoother consistency better than if I'd used diced tomatoes. I used reduced sodium broth to keep those numbers down and I don't think that it affected the taste at all. This soup went together so fast that it was almost as easy as opening a can of pre-made soup and it sure tasted better! If I were going to make any changes (other than my accidental oops), I might add either cooked shredded chicken or maybe some browned mild Italian sausage. A keeper!!
Mar 18, 2014
My whole family loves this soup. My daughter found this recipe and it is one of her favorites. It is very filling, and is one meal my meat loving husband eats and doesn't miss the meat. My son's vegetarian girlfriend loves it too, although for her, I use vegetable broth instead of chicken.
Feb 26, 2013
I agree with the other reviews that it could use more liquid and I would put in a little less of the balsamic vinegar. It was too strong in my opinion. Otherwise, it was very simple to make and seems to be a healthy soup.
Jan 29, 2013
I have made this recipe several times and I'm never disappointed ! This is better than restaurant quality, and super easy to make.
Jan 29, 2013
Jan 29, 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.