Holiday Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta or bacon, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pancetta. Cook until crisp. Add onion; cook 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions; drain. Add cooked tortellini to soup mixture. Stir in crushed tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 245 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 1221mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 29, 2015
Everyone enjoyed it on a rainy cold evening with sandwich wraps.
Dec 8, 2013
This is one of the best soup recipes I've ever made! This will become a regular for our dinners. The things I did differently was use broccoli instead of spinach and I topped it with an italian cheese blend of Mozzarella, Parmesean, Asiago, and Romano instead of just Parmesean. It was delicious!
Nov 12, 2013
Made this soup today and truly loved it.
Oct 29, 2012
Easily the best soup I have every had. We make this ALL the time. I like to add a bit more tortellini though.
Oct 13, 2012
my husband is not a soup guy. but this which he calls pizza soup, he has requested it twice in the last two weeks and the first day I made it had three helpings. I added some mushroom and a little bit cauliflower chopped small to it, as well as some sundried tomato seasoning. its GREAT
Apr 13, 2012
This is the soup that launched me into the world of soup making and I can't believe that I never wrote a review of it!! I've been making it steadily for about 1 year and the family absolutely loves Tortellini Soup night when it comes along about once a month. Excellent flavors and a nice comfort food broth. I can't say enough about this amazing soup. If you buy fresh tortellini like I do -- DO NOT cook it ahead. Throw it in at the end of the cooking process and after just a minute or two, it's all ready to devour. I can't tell you if it's better the next day because it never lasts that long.
Dec 22, 2011
This soup is very simple to make but my family agrees it tastes like something from an Italian restaurant. It is very flavorful! I do reduce the spinach by about half though and I have made it with trying either crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce . Very yummy.
Dec 11, 2011
This tortellini soup is much better than topping cooked tortellini with the traditional spaghetti sauce. I used only 4 cups of chicken broth and used crushed tomatoes instead. You can also use butter instead of olive oil. I also used a 14 oz. package of tortellini which I thought was just the right amount. I left out the spinach as well. It may seem like a rather boring soup with no "substance" except the tortellini, but it was perfect. The chicken and tomatoes flavors blend to make a perfect wintertime comfort food. It it is also amazingly easy and quick!
Nov 7, 2011
Very unique and delicious
Oct 26, 2011
I absolutely love this soup! It is easy to make and so delicious especially on a cold snowy day in Wyoming.