Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until almost tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted and tortellini are tender. Serve with cheese if desired.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled soup in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 203 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 878mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Dec 20, 2019
Love this soup!
Dec 1, 2019
Excellent, hearty, and easy to make. I added a "dash" of red peppers as directed and it was enough that I will be a bit lighter on my dash next time, it doesn't take much to flavor the soup. Obviously, that is a matter of taste. Definitely one I will make again.
Nov 25, 2019
Pure comfort food, purely perfection. I chose all fresh organic ingredients and used spicy chicken sausage. I seved this soup with some warm buttered Italian bread.
Nov 24, 2019
Wonderful Soup very tasty
Nov 20, 2019
WE LOVE THIS SOUP I HAVE MADE THIS PLENTY OF TIMES
Nov 12, 2019
Simple, easy and fabulous flavor!!! I made it per the recipe and wouldn't change a thing. It was hearty and flavorful - could not stop eating it! Shared with a friend - will put this in the favorites book!! Serving suggestion - good warm crusty bread with roasted garlic and a glass of red wine!!!!
Oct 27, 2019
Simple and quick and very tasty. I would use regular chicken broth instead of reduced sodium. It was good using the reduced sodium broth but just a little better after I added some salt.
Oct 25, 2019
Husband and I love this recipe. Easy to make!
Oct 20, 2019
I love this! It's tasty and easy. Just right for a light meal.
Oct 14, 2019
Absolutely love this! It was also actually easy to make. No hidden steps in between the other steps to prepare food for cooking. Used pre-chopped container of onion, and pre-minced garlic to make this even faster with no chopping. Made exactly per recipe (using sweet italian sausage) -- no swapping out water for more chicken broth, and it was perfect. If I had made that swap, as some readers did, it would have been too potent for our taste. Recipe perfect as is.