Mashed Potato Beef Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Cook beef in drippings over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Toss mushrooms, onion, carrot and celery in flour; add to skillet with the broth, Worcestershire sauce, tarragon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add bacon; transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine potatoes and 1/2 cup of cheese; spread over beef mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 381 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 625mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Jan 15, 2018
This is commonly called Shepherd's Pie and is very popular in the U.K. I've made it many times and it is great. Kids usually really like it. I sprinkle it with cheddar cheese on top the last 10 minutes.
Jul 31, 2017
The taste wasn't bad but overall it was just so weird I couldn't get past that.
Jul 20, 2017
I have made this for years. I can't believe I have had these magazines for almost 20 years!
Oct 9, 2016
A great recipe to make. My family loves to add extra cheese on top.
Mar 14, 2016
I have made this a few times. Once I used beef soup meat instead of the ground beef. It's a very good recipe. Of course you can make any changes.
Dec 23, 2015
Absolutely LOVED this dish. Great tasting and inexpensive. I've made it twice - the second time I made it "topless" without the mashed potatoes - still loved it.... making it this way made it very Weight Watchers point-friendly!!! Printed & Saved - definitely making this in the future... often!
Oct 27, 2015
I have made this dish many times now, and it has become a favorite of mine. Very close to one of my Cottage Pie recipes, but a lot more liquid in it. I add a touch more flour so it is till juicy, but not the consistency of my Cottage Pie. I do change ingredients a bit when I am craving a different flavor, but one constant change is the addition of at least a tbsp of crushed or minced garlic. Most often I also add a good glob of any bbq sauce, and often a squirt of liquid smoke. Another trick you might like is at the end to give the recipe a quick 5 min or so under the broiler before, after or both of adding the cheese. The little crunch of the top is a nice feature.
Sep 24, 2015
Made this last night. I did not use the bacon; I saw no need for it. I used Simply Potatoes for my mashed potatoes and it came out wonderful. I did not use as much cheese and it still tasted good.
May 20, 2015
we didn't hate it but I wouldn't make this again without substantial changes, very bland
Nov 18, 2013
A bit watery in the beef after it bakes but maybe I did something wrong. It's still a yummy recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.