Creamy Sweet Potato and Veggie Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- In a stockpot, saute onion in butter until transparent but not browned. Add the sweet potatoes, zucchini and broccoli; saute lightly for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in broth; simmer for a few minutes. Add potatoes and seasonings; cook another 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in cream and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 137 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 6, 2011
I love this easy tasty soup! I've made it three times already and my husband can't get enough of it. Thanks for sharing!!
Mar 16, 2011
I love this recipe. I used it several times, since several in my family are vegetarian. I just use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Everyone loves is, whether vegetarian or not.
Feb 2, 2011
This is the best soup to have on a cold winter night. It hits that spot that helps you sleep all night. I added chicken to it to make it a little more bulky and it came out GREAT!!!! Thanks Audrey, this will be served again and again in our household