Creamy Spinach & Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 6 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash 2 cups potatoes; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks in oil until tender. Whisk the flour, bouillon granules and broth until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in mashed potatoes. Add spinach, salt, pepper and remaining potatoes; cook just until spinach is wilted. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 224 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 22, 2018
This recipe is very tasty. I substituted smoked cheddar cheese which gave it even more depth of flavor. I gave this 4 instead of five stars simply because the prep time listed is rather misleading. I'm not sure who can get all this prepped in 25 minutes. It takes almost that long just to peel and cube the potatoes. If you make this on a weeknight start early enough!
Jan 24, 2014
My Husband liked this soup but, I had to thin it a little I think I should have cut back on the 1/2cup flour.
Jan 12, 2014
We really enjoyed this soup, it was very easy to prepare on top of that
Sep 15, 2013
Used The Flavor Enhancers InsteadOfBouillon. My New Favorite Soup.
Sep 13, 2013
I just made this soup. It's easy, quick, and filling. Not to mention it's cheap for those on a budget. It's a new favorite for me and my family!
Aug 14, 2013
I made this wonderful soup today. I did add an extra 1/2 tsp. of salt. The soup is so flavorful it is a recipe that I will make again and add to my fave soup recipes.
Feb 2, 2013
It tasted very good but I would cut back on the flour as it was to thick.