Creamy Sweet Potato and Veggie Soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1. In a stockpot, saute onion in butter until transparent but not browned. Add the sweet potatoes, zucchini and broccoli; saute lightly for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in broth; simmer for a few minutes. Add potatoes and seasonings; cook another 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in cream and heat through.
1 cup: 137 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 6, 2011
I love this easy tasty soup! I've made it three times already and my husband can't get enough of it. Thanks for sharing!!
Mar 16, 2011
I love this recipe. I used it several times, since several in my family are vegetarian. I just use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Everyone loves is, whether vegetarian or not.
Feb 2, 2011
This is the best soup to have on a cold winter night. It hits that spot that helps you sleep all night. I added chicken to it to make it a little more bulky and it came out GREAT!!!! Thanks Audrey, this will be served again and again in our household